A resume is required throughout the hiring process so that the employer can know more about the applicant and can decide whether the candidate is fit for the job or not. Thus resume plays a great role in the job search and you must remember that your resume is the first thing that creates an impression on the employer. Thus your resume should carry enough weight that can help you to easily land the job which you have applied for. Hence, writing a resume is not an easy task and can be very stressful especially if you do not know the process of writing an effective resume.
You may get some printable templates at bestlettertemplate.com and they can be quite effective or give you the idea what to write. In this article, we have come with some effective tips that will certainly help you to write a great resume.
- Carefully reading the keyword given in the job posting: The first thing that you should do before writing the resume is to read the keywords given in the job posting. It will help you to understand what the employer is actually looking for. Once you find that the job is relevant to your qualification and experience it is recommended to include those keywords in the resume.
- Must be simple and easy to read: Your resume should be simple and straightforward. Recruiter generally has very less time for reviewing the resume of the candidates. Hence in resume writing, readability plays a key role. Your resume should always be to-the-point. It is recommended to select a professional and clean font.
- Use of professional font: Selecting a professional and clean font plays a great role in creating an effective resume. The clear font always makes the resume easy to read. That is why it is seen that font such as Arial or Times New Roman is mostly used and font size 10 to 12 is preferably suitable. Apart from that, it is always recommended to reduce any type of extraneous whitespace.
- Include only the relevant information: Generally, it is seen that the hiring manager can only spend 5-6 second per resume. As such if you include any type of irrelevant or old information in your resume it will only distract the recruiter from the key information. Instead of specifying such kind of information you should include your work experience, achievements, education qualification, and skills.
- Use active language: You must write your letter with active language and should always try to avoid any kind of extraneous words. You should make your sentence short and concise. It is important to avoid using power words in the resume such as achieved, earned, accomplished or completed.
- Provide career summary instead of objective: A career summary is something that provides a brief overview of what the candidate is and what he/she can provide to the employer. You must remember that you have to grab the attention of hiring manager within a few seconds to make a good impression.
- Choose an appropriate margin: It is important to use one-inch margin size on the entire side of your resume keeping a single space in between the lines. If you need to use too much while space then the lines should be spaced by 1.15 or 1.5.
- Include subheadings and sections: It is always better if you present all your qualification, experience, and summary in subheadings and sections. It is important to include a resume summary or objective. But you have to be very careful that you do not include both the summary and objective.
- Putting signature and Date: Once you have completed the resume you need to put your name and signature followed by the date. But make sure that the date is correct. If required you can easily download a free calendar and double-check the date. It is generally recommended to put the date in DD/MM/YYYY format.
- Proofread your resume: Before you send your resume to the recruiter it is very essential to proofread the resume several times so that you can make sure that there are no spelling mistakes or grammatical mistakes in the resume. If the recruiter finds any typos or silly mistakes in the resume it will create a bad impression on you. Hence it is highly required to undergo several rounds of proofreading and edit the mistakes.