What is Military diet?
It is a low calorie diet that focuses on weight loss. It claims to make you lose 4.5 kilograms or 10 lbs. in 1 week.
- Breakfast – 307 Calories
½ of a grapefruit, 1 slice of wheat toast, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, and coffee or tea with no milk
- Lunch – 156 Calories
½ cup of tuna chunks, 1 slice of wheat toast, and coffee or tea with no milk
- Dinner – 631 Calories
85 grams of either red meat or poultry, 1 cup of fresh green beans, ½ ripe banana, 1 small apple, 1 cup of vanilla ice cream
- Breakfast – 198 Calories
1 hard-boiled egg, 1 slice of wheat toast, 1 ripe banana
- Lunch – 374 Calories
1 cup of cottage cheese, 1 hard-boiled egg, 5 saltine wafers or crackers
- Dinner – 787 Calories
2 sausages with no bun, 1 cup of broccoli, 1/2 cups of carrots, ½ ripe banana, ½ cup vanilla flavored ice cream
- Breakfast – 232 Calories
5 saltine wafers or crackers, 1 slice of cheddar cheese, 1 small apple
- Lunch – 145 Calories
1 hard-boiled egg, 1 slice of wheat toast
- Dinner – 521 Calories
1 cup of tuna chunks, ½ ripe banana, 1 cup of vanilla ice cream
For the second phase, which goes from day 4 to day 7, it is highly recommended to consume only healthy food, as long as the calorie count is among 1200 and 1500, and to carefully keep a low count of calories in order to continue losing weight during phase 1 which is from day 1 to day 3.
It is also possible to make the following substitutions if you are allergic to some food or you grow bored to some of them:
- It is possible to substitute grapefruit with oranges
- Instead of toast, eat rice cake and instead of saltine wafers or crackers, you can choose between whole grain cereal or tortilla.
- Hummus, soy butter, or almond butter can substitute peanut butter
- Substitute coffee or teach without milk, with sugar-free cocoa. You can make sugar-free cocoa with water or green tea
- You can alternate between, tuna, chicken, almonds, pumpkin or cottage cheese
- Mushrooms, tofu, and beans are great substitutions for meat
- Green beans can be substituted with tomatoes, spinach or any other dark green leafy vegetable
- Eat kiwi, apricots or grapes instead of banana and have grape, peaches, zucchini, pears or apricots instead of the small apple
- Apple sauce and flavored yogurts are great substitutions for vanilla ice cream
- You can have nuts, fried egg, bacon chicken, or seeds in substitution of hard-boiled eggs
- Eat turkey, beans or bratwurst if you do not want to eat sausages
- Replace broccoli with Brussels sprouts, beetroot, asparagus, cabbage and cauliflower.
- Beet, bell pepper, or celery are amazing alternatives for carrots
- And finally, instead of cedar cheese you can have ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, tofu or soy milk
It is not an easy diet to follow and that’s why it received its name. However, it is claimed to be very efficient in weight loss. It has no relation with any actual military diet.