The Asian Cricket Council’s (ACC) motive behind the foundation of Asia Cup was to promote goodwill between the Asian Countries. Its year of establishment of the Asia Cup is 1983. The ACC (Asian Cricket Council) Asia Cup is men’s cricket tournament. It is either Twenty20 International Cricket tournament or One Day International Cricket tournament. From the year 2015, ACC decided that the Asia Cup will be played as One Day International or Twenty20 on a rotational basis. In the year 2016, Asia Cup was the first time playing in the T20 format.
Successful Teams of Asia Cup
India and Sri Lanka are considered to be the most successful teams of Asia Cup. India has altogether won the cup for 6 times (5 times in ODI format and 1 time in a T20 format which was held for the first time in 2016). Sri Lanka has won Asia Cup 5 times in ODI format whereas Pakistan has won Asia Cup only 2 times.
Teams in Asia Cup
The Asia Cup has split the countries into two teams. Group A has India, Pakistan and Hong Kong whereas Group B has Afghanistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. Firstly, the teams will compete amongst their respective groups and the top two teams in each Group qualifies for the Super Four. After that, each team competes against each other for once and the top two team faces each other in the Finals. The tournament will run approximately for 2 weeks. The captains of respective teams are:
- India’s captain is Rohit Sharma
- Pakistan’s captain is Sarfraz Ahmed
- Sri Lanka’s captain is Angelo Mathews
- Bangladesh’s captain is Mashrafe Mortaza
- Hong Kong’s captain is Anshuman Rath
- Afghanistan’s captain is Asghar Afghan
2018’s Asia Cup Schedule
Asia Cup 2018 is starting on I5th September (today) from 5 p.m. according to I.S.T.
- Sri Lanka vs. Bangladesh on 15th September in Dubai
- Pakistan vs. Hong Kong on 16th September in Dubai
- Sri Lanka vs. Afghanistan on 17th September in Abu Dubai
- India vs. Hong Kong on 18th September in Dubai
- India vs. Pakistan on 19th September in Dubai
- Bangladesh vs. Pakistan on 20th September in Abu Dhabi
Then the Super Four will compete against each other from 21st to 26th September and the top two will compete on 28th September in Dubai.
- Bangladesh won the toss and chose to bat against Sri Lanka in Today’s (15th September) Match.