Sometimes, after exploring, we may find lumps that cause pain when we touch them. At this moment, the word cyst, tumor, and others come to mind. However, that breast lump may have nothing to do with a tumor or cancer. Fortunately, many of these lumps are benign, they are Fibrosis or Cysts.
- Breast, with lymph nodes, lobules, and ducts
- Anatomy of the breast
The fluctuation of the hormonal levels during the menstrual cycle can cause discomfort in the breasts and generate lumpy areas in the breast tissue that feel soft, swollen and that hurt. Fibrocystic changes of the breasts tend to be more bothersome before the menstrual period, and the pain and knotty tend to disappear or decrease once the menstrual period begins.
When examined under a microscope, the fibrocystic tissue of the breasts includes different components such as:
- Round or oval sacs filled with liquid (cysts)
- A prominence of fibrous tissue similar to a scar (fibrosis)
- Excessive growth of cells (hyperplasia) lining the breast ducts or tissues that produce milk (lobes) of the breast
- Enlargement of mammary lobules (adenosis)
The treatment in one case and in another will be totally different because in the case of breast cysts, these are bags whose content is liquid and in the case of fibrosis, are a kind of balls that are formed with breast tissues. For this reason, we will see the treatments separately.
Breast Fibrosis Treatment
If we suffer from fibrosis, but we do not have any kind of discomfort, a treatment will be unnecessary, although it does not hurt to have a more exhaustive control of that ailment. But if it causes some kind of mild discomfort:
- Change the type of bra to one that notches the chest better.
- Apply heat to the area
- Paracetamol or ibuprofen type analgesics
- Stop taking caffeine or any exciting product such as chocolates, coffees, teas or soft drinks.
In cases of pain or serious discomfort, the doctor may prescribe some type of hormonal therapy, such as oral contraceptives, tamoxifen or androgens. These last treatments can often have other side effects.
Treatment of Breast Cysts
If this is our case, the treatments for the cysts in the breasts happen to drain them by means of a hypodermic needle. The doctor will be in charge of carrying out this operation if he considers it convenient. By clicking on the cyst, the doctor will extract all the liquid contained inside.
Immediately, the cyst will begin to disappear completely until after a few minutes. This is all the treatment that a small cyst requires. If for any reason, it reappears, we will simply act in the same way.
But what happens if the cyst is too large? In these cases, it will be necessary to resort to surgery. It is only recommended in extreme cases and these are:
- When the cyst in the breast is annoying or uncomfortable.
- If the cyst, after suffering multiple drainages, reappears constantly.
- If when draining the cyst, the fluid obtained contains blood or other signs that may create doubts.