The human body tends to suffer deterioration as time goes by. So a person can experience some diminishing effects in hearing, tightness of the skin, but most of all losing vision while growing older. But this does not mean that we have to accept these conditions and forget about keeping in good health, especially when it comes to eyes and vision. There are several natural remedies that would help improve the eye health not matter how old a person is.
The usage of these homemade treatments is an important fact for many people, and it is relevant to avoid really expensive treatment or surgery. Here are some of them:
- For starters, acupressure is a treatment that would help in the improvement of vision. Similar to acupuncture, acupressure eliminates the usage of needles and substitute with the fingers. To improve the vision, there are seven acupressure points around the eye. They start at the corner of the eye – closest to the nose – and continue across the brow, ending underneath the eyelid. A 10 second massage at every of these points can increase circulation. Additionally, the tips of the thumbs can be pressure in order to boost circulation to your eyes stimulating areas in the neck. The massaging of the thumbs leads to a brighter, clearer eyesight; the same result can be obtained by pressuring the big toe. It is easily to be done and it does not require a lot of time for its application.
- To help this first remedy, eye-friendly nutrients are required to improve the eyesight. The consumption of carrots and omega-3 fatty acid supports healthy vision, according to studies taken by the University of Harvard in 2007. In this research, it was proved that the intake of omega-3 fatty acids reinforced healthy blood vessel growth, which is essential for proper vision. This could be accompanied by other nutrients such as vitamin A, B-complex, vitamins C, D, and E, as well as beta-carotene, amino acids, and other antioxidants found in leafy green, berries, and carrots. Other food consider necessary for improvement of eye vision are bananas, spinach, collards, and turnip greens, and kale.
- Another factor in the improvement of vision is working out. The physical exercises can reduce glaucoma risk and retinal degeneration, generating low ocular perfusion pressure, a high risk factor of glaucoma. Including on these exercises are blinking, creating moisture every time is done. Breathing and meditation should be included in the list of exercises needed for improving the vision.
- Including healthy habits in our daily routines are key elements to help eye sight. Taking breaks for staring at computer screens and keep it in a considerate distance away from eye vision (at 18 inches away) and slightly below eye level. This could also be applied when watching TV.
Other factors to be taken into consideration are:
- Cool your feet. A good idea is to put feet at an air condition unit and receive the air on them instead of the eyes. This is done in order to maintain the moisture in the eyes.
- A regular walk for 40 minutes is recommended, since, as told above, physical activity reduces the risk of generating glaucoma by reducing the intraocular pressure.
- When working long hours in front of a computer, it is highly recommendable to take breaks from the bright screens by looking away for 30 seconds or getting up and away from the unit at least once an hour.
- Eat food that is yellow or orange in color which has vital nutrients to protect eye deterioration, such as egg yolks, carrots, and pumpkins. Also, dark green vegetables (broccoli and spinach for example) have the same effect.
- Protect the eyes when in sunlight exposure.
And, most of all, a regular test for glaucoma and the periodical visit to a specialist have to be a must in keeping vision healthy.