The usage of Lithium batteries in RV is getting more and more popular these days. Despite them being too pricey, they are still gaining attention because of the superb qualities and remarkable advantages over other types of batteries.
So if you are still contemplating whether you will spend a large amount of cash for your RV’s battery or not, you might want to look for some comprehensive reviews first. It is to ensure that the battery you will buy is something that you and your RV need. You must note all the considerations and issues that you think will help you choose the best type.
You can check here for more info: https://rvcamping.com/best-lithium-rv-battery/.
What is a Lithium RV battery?
The Lithium battery is a type of rechargeable battery used to deliver amperage to power up the vehicle. This battery supplies a constant output current and is primarily meant to discharge and then recharge again. Typically, they are not designed for start-up or crank engines because they have so much power and storage for that purpose alone. Compared to lead-acid batteries, they offer excellent efficiency, fast charging and slow discharging, give more energy and have more life expectancy. Depending on the quality and how well you maintain and charge your RV battery, it can last up to 10 long years.
Types of Lithium RV battery
There are mainly two types of Lithium batteries. The first one is the Lithium metal battery, and the other is the Lithium-ion.
- Lithium Metal battery – they are very costly and are not rechargeable. They are not used in recreational vehicles.
- Lithium-Ion battery – These are the batteries used in electronics, drones, cars, RVs. Many RV campers are now switching to lithium-ion batteries from lead-acid batteries as it has up-and-coming features.
Why should you buy one for your RV?
There are many advantages and benefits that the lithium RV battery has to offer. These include reliability and efficiency, weight, power delivery, storage, capacity, life expectancy, and durability.
- Reliability and efficiency – lithium batteries’ efficiency is at least 95% (or more), making it a more reliable option if you go on boondocking quite often.
- Weight – compared to other batteries out there that are available for RVs, this type considerably weighs less, making it more portable.
- Power delivery – the lithium-ion battery supplies a constant amount of power during the entire discharging cycle. It means that its strength when fully charged is the same when nearly discharged. It will just turn off once it runs out of charge.
- Storage – It self-discharges five times slower than the other battery types when stored unused.
- Capacity -it has a higher energy density making it capable of storing a large amount of energy to power up devices even if it has the same size as other battery options.
- Life expectancy – lithium-ion batteries can last up to a decade, depending on your maintenance.
- Durability – These batteries are durable enough to last for 10 yrs or 3000 to 5000 charging and discharging cycles.
Things to consider before buying a Lithium RV battery
Before you finally decide to buy a lithium battery for your RV, there are many things to consider to guarantee that you have bought the most ideal for you. Among the things to be considered are:
- Compactness – if you have limited battery storage space in your RV, you must invest in a space-saving lithium battery. You don’t want a bulky battery that eats up the spot that is supposed to be a location for another equipment.
- Storage Capacity – Since it is the battery’s primary function to store charges, you must purchase one with a large storage capacity. The larger the capacity of energy it can hold, the more devices it can supply power, which will make you at ease and extra comfortable during your entire boondocking getaway.
- Low Maintenance Requirements – It is also ideal to buy a lithium battery that does not require so much maintenance work. It is a hassle if you always have to check its performance and do some basic troubleshooting.
- Life Expectancy and Durability -Make sure to include it in your considerations as it will indicate whether you made the right choice for your battery or not. The more durable your RV battery is, the longer the time you can use it, and the more it is worth your hard-earned money.
- Budget – RV lithium-ion batteries are relatively expensive compared with your other options. It is because they offer so many significant advantages and enhanced features. But if you have a limited budget yet still want to purchase the Lithium battery type, you can have the cheaper options. The only drawback is that they offer fewer years of warranty and fewer years of life expectancy.
- Efficiency – ensure that the battery you will buy is capable enough to power up the devices inside your RV. It should at least have a 90 to 95 percent rate of efficiency.
Do’s and Don’ts
Prolong your RV battery’s life by taking note of these do’s and don’ts.
- Do clean it with a damp cloth.
- Do charge after use.
- Do not overcharge.
- Do not expose to heat as it wears out faster when always placed in a hot surrounding. It also tends to explode, so handle and dispose of it correctly and with extra caution.
- Don’t let it be left drained. Charge your RV battery immediately after getting discharged.
- Do not ever short the terminals.
- Do not soak or submerge in water. It can cause damage to the battery itself.
- Do not use the battery if it has frayed or chewed up wires.
Purchasing a lithium battery for your RV can indeed hurt your pockets as it is relatively expensive. However, it is worth the high initial cost because of its long lifespan and outstanding capabilities. You will need not maintain it frequently and will not have to replace it after a few years. After the long run, you will realize how positively it contributed to your experiences that are all convenient and easeful.
At this point, we anticipate that we have already educated you about the RV lithium battery and how essential it is for you as an RV camper. See you at your next boondocking activity!