Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi is an Indian freedom fighter who born on 2nd October 1869. He led the Indian Independence movement in India when the British were ruling India. Mahatma Gandhi is usually called Gandhi ji or Bapu. One of the main reason why India got freedom from British rule were his methods and principles. India celebrates his birthday as Gandhi Jayanti each year on 2nd of October. Gandhi Jayanti is also one of the National Holidays of India.
Main Events for Gandhi Jayanti
As this is the 150th Gandhi Jayanti, whole India celebrates this one especially. Here are a few Major events taking place in this special Gandhi Jayanti in India.
- This year Mani Bhavan has prepared itself to celebrate Gandhi Jayanti in a very cherishing way. Mani Bhavan was Gandhi ji’s headquarters situated in Mumbai for almost 17 years. This Headquarters was turned into a Museum and Library. Events like bhajans, prayers at school, singing competition and cosplay competition are being conducted by Mani Bhavan.
- Jharkhand CM Raghubar Das and Jharkhand Governor Draupadi Murmu show their special respect to Gandhi ji socially.
- Assam CM Sarbananda Sonowal, also pays homage to Gandhi ji at Guwahati’s Gandhi Mandap.
- The deputy CM of Tamil Nadu, O Panneerselvam, along with its CM K Palaniswami and Governor Banwarilal Purohit pay their special respect with a floral tribute for Gandhi Ji at Marina beach in Chennai.
- Congress arranges an event at Sevagram ashram in Wardha situated in Maharashtra. Events like Bhajan, committee meeting and foot march will occur timely.
- India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi also pays a floral tribute to respect Gandhi Ji at the Central Hall of Parliament.
- Children from different school dressed up as Mahatma Gandhi and celebrated Gandhi Jayanti Moradabad situated in Uttar Pradesh. Also, children from a school in Chennai celebrated Gandhi Jayanti by dressing up like Mahatma Gandhi and performed Yoga and foot march on October 1st.
- The secretary of United Nations also pays a Floral tribute in New Delhi.
- Maharashtra’s CM took part in an event called ‘Padyatra’ which took place at Nagpur.
- Many celebrities had paid their respect to Gandhi by Tweets and sharing the information worldwide.
Gandhi devoted himself to “Truth” and “Duty”. He is definitely with no doubt one of the best humans who ever lived and there lives no human who cannot be inspired by Gandhi. Gandhi ji unites the world.