Kidneys play a crucial role in filtering out waste from the human body. Urine is one of the byproducts of this waste. Kidney stone starts to develop when the minerals in the urine begin to stick together in the kidneys forming a crystalline substance.
Passing the kidney stone can be really painful because it forms a solid mass which makes it difficult for the kidney to function properly. There are four different stages of kidney stones affected in humans, they are;
- Calcium Oxalate – Buildup of Calcium in the kidneys (most common in humans)
- Uric Acid – Formed due to the consumption of meat of all types
- Struvite – Caused on the backdrop of a kidney infection
- Cystine – Result of a genetic disorder (very rare)
Dissolving Kidney Stone
There are various procedures by which kidney stones can be easily dissolved. Patients with kidney stones are often told to consume potassium citrate by the doctors. Lemon juice is known to have an effective impact on kidney stones. The natural citrate present in lemon juice helps in dissolving it.
However, lemon juice is not as effective as potassium citrate but those who want to avoid severe medications and other procedures, lemon juice is the best alternative they have got.
Lemon Juice acts as a natural supplement for kidney health because it not only helps in combating the kidney stones but also helps in passing a lot of urine.
When an individual is affected by kidney stones, the only way to treat it naturally is to increase the fluid intake. When the patient will increase his/her fluid intake, he/she will in return pass a lot of urine and the chances of dissolving the stones increases.
The kidney stone patients are recommended to pass at least 1.5L to 2L of urine daily. Lemon juice can help in that. Lemon juice is rich in vitamin C minerals and citric acid which helps in reducing the acidity in urine, allowing the patient to pass urine comfortably.
Lemonade is considered as the favorite kidney stone remedy as it can actually help dissolve the stone naturally. One can follow the given therapy if they are suffering from kidney stones.
- If an individual experiences pain for the first time, then he/she is advised to drink lemon juice-olive oil mixture. Mix 2 ounces of organic lemon juice with 2 ounces of olive oil and drink.
- After consuming the mixture, drink one of boiled water and do not consume anything for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, make another mixture using lemon juice, distilled water, and apple cider vinegar. Mix the proportionate amount of lemon juice (1/2), apple cider vinegar (1tbsp) and water (1 glass – 12 ounce) and drink the mixture every hour. It will help the individual to cope with the pain and slowly dissolve the stones. If the pain keeps on acting, consult a doctor.
How much lemon juice to consume?
Lemon juice is a vital supplement for kidney health as it comprises of a variety of minerals, nutrients, and antioxidants. It is advised to only consume lemon juice in its organic, natural state, which is raw. The doctors recommend the patients avoid bottled lemonade because they are adulterated using artificial coloring and flavor. One can always consume lemon juice as a potion. They can either mix it with warm or cold water or drink it as a smoothie or mixing it with raw honey can be beneficial for the entire body.
As lemon juice is acidic in nature, consuming it on a regular basis can lead to damaging one’s tooth enamel and also can lead to stomach ulcers or heartburn. So, the affected individuals are required to consult a doctor first before following this remedy.