Electricity has become an essential part of our life and it is something we can’t live without. Even with all the benefits, it can be dangerous and even deadly sometimes. We use it so constantly that we forget that a moment of carelessness around electricity can be life-threatening. But there are some simple guidelines you can follow to keep yourself and your loved one safe from its dangerous potential.
Keep the cords well ordered
Tangled electrical cords are a safety hazard in your house. Not only does it pose the risk of being electrocuted, but it can also cause accidents like slips, trips, and falls. Electrical cords are hard to organize as they tend to get enmeshed and knotted with every use. These cables are extremely dangerous if you have a curious toddler or a pet. You can solve this problem permanently by using adhesive hooks or cable ties. Also, using boxes for the cables in your PC or entertainment unit will solve the safety problems and your place will look tidier.
Repair and replace faulty wiring
Getting your house wiring inspected once a year is a sensible thing to do. You can check the visible cables now and then and repair or replace them as needed. But if you want to make sure your whole wiring system is okay, you have to hire a professional. Hire a professional to examine the condition of your electric meter, fuse box, schneider distribution board and wiring at least once in two years. A little fault in wiring can end up leading to a fire or exploration.
Unplug everything that is not in use
This might seem obvious (or unnecessary), but you should unplug every electric device or appliance when you are not using them. Unplugging devices stop them from overheating and protects against power surges. Plus, disconnecting appliances like microwaves, toasters, and coffee makers will increase energy efficiency and save you some money at the same time. If doing this daily seems inconvenient to you, you can get timer switches that will unplug your devices automatically.
Regular maintenance of appliances
You should repair every electric device and appliance in your house regularly. Faulty appliances cause energy wastage and if you ignore servicing for too long, you end up shortening their life. Most importantly, broken devices can electricity you or start fires as they overheat. Sometimes they can end up exploding and causing serious damage. If any appliance or device contains an exhaust fan, make sure to clean them regularly as faulty fans can cause overheating and fire.
Be prepared for emergencies
You should be prepared for any electrical hazard. Knowing how and when to cut the electric connection can save your life. You must know where your circuit breaker box is situated and how to disconnect the power in your house in case you have a fire or other emergencies. If you are having an electrical emergency, you should-
- Restrain from touching the victim.
- Call for help.
- Turn off the power supply.
- Provide primary care.